This page shows the next Nottingham event. For events in other locations see the PubhD Locations page.
Wednesday, 21 November 2018 at 7:30 p.m.
If you are on Facebook, you can RSVP.
The Vat and Fiddle pub (in the Golding’s Room),
12 Queen’s Bridge Road
More information and a map: https://pubhd.wordpress.com/pubhd-nottingham-venue/
To mark the first national Tree Charter Day on 24 November, we’re joining in with the celebrations with a PubhD ‘trees and people’ special. It’s taken 800 years for us to acknowledge the debt we owe to trees, the rights we all have to the benefits they provide, and to establish a new accord between us and them. The Charter for Trees, Woods and People was launched in 2017, with 10 Principles designed to articulate our modern day relationship. Three speakers will give a fast overview of their tree-related research that will cover just some of the huge range of connections there are between people and trees – from folklore to science, from art to the economy.
Supported by the Woodland Trust, there will also be a chance to add your name to the Tree Charter (treecharter.uk).
The talks are at “pub level” – you don’t need to be an academic to understand them!
The speakers are:
- Andrew Fox (Classics/Geography) is a PhD student at the University of Nottingham, funded by the Midlands3Cities AHRC Consortium. His research looks at how the Roman Empire used the trees of their colonies to display the conquered world, and to incorporate and welcome the foreign territories into Rome.
- Vivyan Lisewski-Hobson (Social Sciences) is a PhD student at the University of Nottingham. She is researching the nature of public access to woodland, with special emphasis placed on woodland in private ownership.
- Peter Howson (Geography) is a Lecturer at Nottingham Trent University. His research looks at how carbon trading is being used to make trees more valuable standing than cut down, and what impacts the practice is having on indigenous communities in Indonesia.
- Page: https://www.facebook.com/PubhDNottingham
- Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PubhD/
- Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/334778617277773