The event on April 16 will be a bit different. We’re calling it a “Neuroscience Special”.
Our normal format is to have three speakers from completely different academic areas tell us about their PhDs (in exchange, we provide a friendly audience and free beer!). In April, we will still have three speakers from different disciplines – but they all work in the same department. They work in a multidisciplinary neuroscience department.
So, we will hear talks from three speakers, with different academic backgrounds, that are all working in the same laboratory and contributing to the same project.
Noah, the lab lead, will also provide us with an introduction to the project.
The speakers are:
- Noah Russell leads the multidisciplinary Neurophotonics lab at the University of Nottingham, who are developing a novel system, a Simple Living Artificial Brain (The SLAB), in order to understand fundamental aspects of information processing in the brain. Noah will provide us with a short introduction to the research programme, which will give context to the three main speakers.
- Alex Johnstone (Engineering) is a third year PhD student in the Neurophotonics lab. He is developing microfluidic technologies for the SLAB system that house cultured neuronal cells, and deliver vital nutrients and signalling molecules to them.
- Nitzan Herzog (Neuroscientist) is a second year PhD student in the Neurophotonics lab. His project involves recording and stimulating neurons grown in a dish to induce learning and produce simple behaviours in the SLAB system.
- Jamie Williams (Linguistics) is a second year PhD student in the Neurophotonics lab. He works on applying concepts and models from theoretical linguistics to the development of a conceptual framework for the SLAB system that links neurobiological signals to behavioural and cognitive processes.
Wednesday April 16, 2014 at 7:30 p.m.
The Vat and Fiddle pub (in the Golding’s Room),
12 Queen’s Bridge Road
- Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/PubhD/
- Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/670181443028404